Beginner Builder series 75% done! will probably never be finished. :(

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

BPBible: If Bibleman was real, he would use it.

BPBible is a very user friendly program to help read and study the Bible. As you may guess, it's pretty obvious about what it does....it displays the Bible. But heres some nice things about it:

-Multiple versions: Why settlee for one version when you can have them all? Well, not all. Versions like NIV, NKJV, and several others have legal issues that do not permit them to be online. Nonetheless, you can have others like ESV, KJV, and even non-English versions, and easily swap between them. It's very easily to install "Books".

-Commentary, Dictionary, and Other Books: Because it's actually a Bible "study" tool, you can also have a commentary like Matthew Henry's Commentary or Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, a dictionary like a Hebrew to English dictionary, and even Other Books like Pilgrim's Progress or Augustine's Confessions. There are panes for each different type, which can be hidden or shown.

-"Copy verses": You can customize a way to copy verses, like putting the reference before or after, adding verse numbers between every verse, etc.

-Search: Very very easy to search the entire Bible for specific words, in just a few seconds.


That's about it. It's a very nice looking program, and works fairly well. Also, Portable apps decided to make it Portable, so head on over there if you want to give it a spin without installing it, or if you just want to keep God on your flash disk all the time.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that I'm clear what you want with favourite verses. If you are jumping around the Bible and want to get back to where you were, I would have thought the history more useful (or do you wish to mark all the verses they used? If so, I would use a new topic).

    If favourites have some special meaning, then I'm not clear where they would be displayed or how you would want access to them. I can think of a few ideas, but I'm not sure that any of them would really justify having another special feature to learn and remember.

    If I do add such a feature, I would imagine it would become part of the topic management, though it may end up a special topic with different ways of accessing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I feel like such a dunce. After all this time using BPBible, I never even thought to use "Back".....I knew it was there, I just didn't make the connection.

    To be honest, I never really knew about Topics until just recently, I just went poking around. It would just maybe be nice if there were an easier way to get to them.

    I retract some of my earlier criticism. :)

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topics were new in 0.4. Since then I've used them for several months and tweaked them a bit, but there is still a fair amount I would like to change about them, and I will certainly consider some kind of "favourite verses" support sometime, though not soon.

    An easy way to add passages to a topic is to select the verse range you want, then 't' or 'Ctrl-T' or right click on the selection and choose to tag verses. There will then be a dialog where you can select what topic to apply. To view them you will need the manage topics window or the tooltip you get if you hover over the tag in the text. Some day I will write detailed instructions on how I think they are best used and what problems they can be used to solve, but for now I'm still trying to find that myself.

    WRT back, another thing back needs is to go back multiple references at once, as Firefox or IE would. You can do that if you have the history window open, but I almost never have it open because it takes up valuable space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have created an issue describing favourite verses, since I think it could be handy, at http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/issues/detail?id=80. If you have any comments feel free to make them there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete