Beginner Builder series 75% done! will probably never be finished. :(

Sunday, February 1, 2009

List Large Files: The bigger they are, the harder they fall

List Large Files (or "LargeFiles2," as I call it) is a program to list the large files of your drive. It's a very simply program, written in Delphi, but it can be fairly useful. Basically, you just pick a drive letter from the drop down list, specify how many files you want it to list, and and click "List largest files." On the left, it shows the size of the files (biggest at the top, of course), and on the right, it shows the path and filename. If you click on a file path, it opens the containing folder in explorer, which is really handy.

That's really it. Very simply program. It's portable and tiny, at only 390kb in a standalone app. It can tend to chew up CPU when it's scanning, but it sits around only 3mb of RAM, so it's pretty light. It's even open source, which is cool, if you're into that sorta thing.

I had some negative stuff I was gonna write about it, but I just ran it, and both of the things I was gonna say didn't happen.....The first would be that it doesn't always pick up every large file, like the pagefile, or the hibernation file, but it just picked up pagefile.sys for me. I was also gonna say that it takes a while to scan and can look like it's frozen up, but it took about 30 seconds for each drive, and then about 2 if I rescanned the same drive, and it didn't freeze.....

So in other words, it's alot better program than I thought it was. I don't think that it is complete disk space management worthy, but it is a handy tool. Maybe you don't want to sort through all of the files, and you just wonder "Hey, I wonder what the biggest file on my drive is." In that case, LargeFiles2 is the program for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment